Pedro St. James,
Grand Cayman

Grand Cayman's version of a "castle."

All Caribbean Islands

Hotel Search

Cruise Planning

Island Tours

Caribbean Recipes

Caribbean Weather

Pedro St. James
Historic House & Artifacts

Once called a castle because of its impressively large size, Pedro St. James is a restored great house originally built in 1780 when there were no more than 400 people on the island and when most of the islanders lived in palm thatch-covered homes.

Pedro St. James is considered the "birthplace of democracy" in the Caymans since it was here in 1831 that the decision was made to form the first elected parliament.

Ironically, the Georgian-style structure managed to survive many a hurricane. In 1970, a fire destroyed all but the core stonework. The restored, home, outfitted with period furnishings and artifacts, is built with 2 unusually wide verandas that wrap around the upper two stories. Perfect for keeping the upper story and its inhabitants cool.

The estate house, located on 7-acres on the coast, is the centerpiece of a living heritage museum/park which also includes an informative visitor center with displays depicting the traditional Caymanian lifestyle.

The Pedro Theatre features a 3-D, multi-sensory presentation that includes a laser light show. This is not the usual 3-D film. Presented hourly from 10am.The final show begins at 4pm. No food, drinks or video taping permitted.

Finding Pedro St. James
Located in the village of Savannah, about 20 minutes from downtown George Town. Follow Shamrock Road along the coast to Savannah. Turn right onto Pedro Castle Road. The attraction is on the right.

Pedro St. James is open daily from 9am-5pm. (Closed Christmas Day) Phone 345/947-3329. Admission fee.

To Grand Cayman Things To Do

To Grand Cayman Homepage