Port of Galveston, TX
With its location in the Gulf of Mexico, the Port of Galveston
has unusually limited access. .
There are 2 approaches, one by sea and one by land.
1) State Highway 87 - West to Galveston Island using Vehicle Ferry System
The state operates 2 vessels daily. One runs 24 hours, the other from 6:30 a.m. and runs for 8 to 12 hours, depending on traffic.
Be aware there may be a traffic backup for the ferry, so make your transit well in advance of your ship's departure.
- Exit Ferry on to Ferry Road/Hwy 87
- Continue Ferry Road to Harborside Drive
- Turn right (west) on Harborside Drive
- Continue approximately 20 city blocks
- Turn right on Kempner/22nd Street to Cruise Terminal
The Galveston-Port Bolivar Ferry is open to the general public; there is a curfew between the hours of 10 p.m. and 6 a.m., giving authorities the right to question anyone venturing between the ferry landing and Rollover Pass Bridge.
If passing some still storm-torn areas, do not go sight-seeing or you could be delayed.
Another Driving Option:
Follow I-10 East to Baytown
Connect to 146 South
Connect to I-45 South
To Port of Galveston, TX
To U.S. Cruise Ports
To Caribbean Cruise Tips Homepage