Tobago Historical Sites
Fort Granby

All Caribbean Islands

Hotel Search

Cruise Planning

Island Tours

Caribbean Recipes

Caribbean Weather


Tobago Historical Sites
Fort Granby

Built around 1765 to protect the short-lived first capital Georgetown, Fort Granby is the second oldest fort on the island, and the first British fortification.

It was named after a British hero of the Seven Year War, and the British held a sizable Post of Arms there.

On Sunday 13th April, 1766, a church service was performed for the first time at Fort Granby; officiated by a subaltern officer, it involved the reading of a sermon of Tolloston.

The French took over the fort from 1781 to 1787, during their occupation of Tobago, after which it was abandoned.

Today, what remains of the fort are the white-benched gazebos that look out onto Barbados and Pinfold Bays on either side of the headland. The grounds have become a labyrinth of interwoven trees forming a canopy covering most of the fort.

A walk through the grounds is punctuated by an eerie silence, broken only by the whistling of a bird. Further in lies the gravestone of a British soldier, James Clarke, who died on July 6, 1772.

Furbished with modern conveniences, Fort Granby includes a playground, making it an interesting stop-off point along the Windward coast.

To Tobago Forts

To Tobago Attractions and Sightseeing

To Tobago Things To Do