Tobago Forts

All Caribbean Islands

Hotel Search

Cruise Planning

Island Tours

Caribbean Recipes

Caribbean Weather


Tobago Historical Sites

Tobago Forts

Since the late 1400's, no other West Indian island has been desired and fought over by European powers with such great intensity as Tobago.

As a result, visiting all of Tobago's forts could consume most of a week-long vacation--there are that many on this tiny island.

Fort Bennett, Black Rock
A small, picturesque fort located at the end of a sloping road.

Cambleton Battery, Charlotteville
Perched at the top of an unassuming hill is Cambleton Battery, not actually part of the island's system of forts.

Fort Granby, Studley Park
Built around 1765 to protect the short-lived first capital Georgetown.

Fort James, Plymouth
This fort was named after Jacobus (James), the Duke of Courland. The British army maintained a picket post here, which in 1770 was attacked by revolting slaves. A battery manned by the militia was erected on the site in 1777.  In 1781 the battery was destroyed by the French who occupied the site until the island was recaptured by the British in 1793. The present fort was erected in the early 1800s. Fort James is the oldest fort site in Tobago.

Fort King George, Scarborough
Built in the 1780s, this is Tobago’s best-preserved historical site.
 
Fort Milford, Crown Point
It is believed a settlement of Dutch under the protection of the Duke of Courland was briefly located here circa 1642. From about 1770 the British army maintained a picket post here and the militia manned a two cannon battery on the site until the island fell to the French in 1781. The present fort was erected by the British circa 1811 and remained British until the army left Tobago in 1854.

French Fort, Scarborough
On May 24th, 1781, French troops under General Blanchelande invaded the island. On May 30th they occupied the hilltop known as French Fort, as it overlooked the British defender’s redoubt at Concordia, northwest of Fort King George. Today, French Fort is used to transmit television and radio signals. The site provides a panoramic view of Scarborough.

Fort Monck, Rocky Point
Fort Monck was established in 1681 by the Courlanders, who at the time were under the command of Colonel Franz Monck. They were new to the island but they died shortly after arrival from attacks by Indians and diseases. By 1683 the settlement had completely dissappeared. The site of the Fort is now known as Rocky Point.

To Tobago Attractions and Sightseeing

To Tobago Things To Do

To Tobago Historical Monuments

To Tobago Historical Architecture

To Tobago Homepage