Tobago Historical Architecture Tours
Where To Go
When To Go
Where To Stay
What It Costs
What To Do
What To Pack
Flora & Fauna
The architecture of Tobago includes not only historic buildings but water wheels and sugar mills.
Arnos Vale Water Wheel and Nature Park, Arnos Vale
Governor’s House/The President’s House Government House Road
The Governor’s House at Mt. William was completed in 1828. After its completion, it was occupied only when Governors resident in Trinidad visited the island. It is now the official residence of the President of Trinidad and Tobago.
St. Andrew’s Anglican Church
The most elegant surviving plantation Great House in Tobago dating from 1766, with early 20th Century wooden and brass African and Chinese furniture. Also containing a collection of African textiles and carvings, it is now used as a guesthouse with an outdoor restaurant and a swimming pool.
Sugar Mill at Mt. Irvine Bay Hotel
The Sugar Mill at Mt. Irvine Bay Hotel was the power center of the sugar works for the Old Grange Estate which was erected in the latter part of the 18th Century. The collapse of the sugar industry in 1887 brought its usefulness to an end. Today it is the centerpiece of the Sugarmill Restaurant at the Mount Irvine Bay Hotel.
This wheel was erected in the late 18th Century or early 19th Century. The waterwheel and related machinery were used to grind sugar and were made in Scotland. With the collapse of the sugar industry in 1887, this and other mills became obsolete. It is now one of the many reminders of Tobago’s past.
The House of Assembly or Old Court House Scarborough
This building overlooks James Park in upper Scarborough. His Excellency Governor General Sir F.P. Robinson laid the foundation stone on April 23rd, 1821. Upon completion in 1825, the building housed the island’s Legislature and Judiciary. The building is now used as the island’s Central Administration building, where it houses the Chamber of the Tobago House of Assembly, the local Government on the island.